Troubled by bad indoor air quality? Looking for the best air purifier? We understand that a good purifier can be very helpful especially for those with allergies.
Haze has always been an issue in Malaysia, a problem that seems unsolvable. Using an air purifier is a direct and effective way to improve indoor air quality immediately.
We have handpicked the best air purifiers from various brands ranging from Sharp, Philips, Panasonic, Xiaomi, Coway, Honeywell, Blueair and many more.
Here are our top 5 recommended air purifiers in Malaysia.
- Sharp air purifier FPJ30LA
- Sharp air purifier FPF40LW
- Xiaomi smart air purifier 3H
- Philips AC 3259 air purifier
- Blueair Joy S Air Purifier
1. Sharp air purifier FPJ30LA
Best budget air purifier for small room
Sharp air purifier FPJ30LA is small, modern-looking, compact, yet powerful enough to filter the air pollutant of your bedroom efficiently. Cost less than a “Teh Tarik” a day and improve your living quality, why not?
• Compact and space-saving.
• HEPA filter.
• Powerful air suction and efficient airflow – ensures optimum working
• Haze mode.
• Value for money.
• Small area coverage, only for small bedrooms. Not suitable for a large bedroom, living room
• When working at its maximum, can be a little noisy due to the fan.
• No air quality indicator
There are indeed many choices available but we have narrowed down to Sharp Air Purifier FPJ30LP. This little appliance is packing awesome! Although the coverage area is somewhat smaller comparatively, it is sufficient for a smaller room with an area of 23m².
Sharp’s air purifiers use Plasmacluster Ion technology. This combines positive and negative ions, which are found among airborne contaminants, releasing hydroxyl radicals. This, in turn, oxidizes air contaminants so fine particles, dust, microbes and volatile organic chemicals can be eliminated even without going through the air purifier. Amazing isn’t it?
Sharp claims that this model utilizes HEPA filter therefore from this perspective, it is a very good deal for the money spent! It is able to reduce airborne microbes, dust mites, pollen, remove mould, allergens, static electricity, cleanse clinging odours and employs great deodorization technique as well.
Sharp FPJ30LA’s powerful air suction and efficient airflow ensure optimum workings. The HEPA and high- performance filters ensure airborne dust particles are captured and removed. Many have feedback saying that ever since they used this lil’ guy, their rooms’ air quality has significantly improved and the air smelt fresher and cleaner. Most claimed that their healths have also improved.
2. Sharp air purifier FPF40LW
Best overall air purifier -upgrade pick
Sharp air purifier FPF40LW cost nearly double of its smaller sibling at RM589. It covers up to 30m2 area and comes with air quality indicator. This model has haze mode as well.
• Has greater coverage area – 30m²
• HEPA filter.
• Sharp Plasmacluster technology.
• Has haze mode.
• Value for money for bigger room space.
• To some, the coverage area still too small.
• When working at its maximum, can be a little noisy (subjective to each individual)
After having researched, again and again, the winner still fell onto Sharp’s lap again. Yes, the best upgrade pick is Sharp Plasmacluster Air Purifier FPF40LW.
It is without a doubt that Sharp has always been one of the strong leaders in air purification technology. Sharp’s Plasmacluster technology has been a proven method in fighting off viruses and microbes. They achieve it by releasing positive and negative ions into the air. Although sounds gimmicky, it does work to remove pollutants almost instantly according to a 2006 research conducted by Malaysia Ministry of Health.
Sharp Plasmascluter technology doesn’t emit any ozone gas while some other brands purifier ionizer release ozone which is bad for human health.
It also has low power consumption and most important of all, its really quiet at 25db only when operating at low power mode. The front panel has a fan speed indicator which makes this more user-friendly.
Utilizing the HEPA filter as well, this machine promises great filtration and optimum workings too. Therefore, with no doubts at all, it is able to reduce and remove effectively airborne microbes, virus, dust mites, pollen particles, remove mould, allergens, static electricity, cleanse clinging odours that range from mould to pet odours through its great deodorization technology. Buy Sharp air purifier FPF40LW now.
3. Xiaomi smart air purifier 3H
Best smart air purifier
Xiaomi Air Purifier 3H is the latest model from Xiaomi. And Xiaomi is undeniably capable in making sleek smart home devices. This air purifier is no exception
• Has greater coverage area26-45m2
• 3 stages true HEPA filter.
• Mi app smart phone control
• OLED panel
• Some models use china plug
Xiaomi Mi Smart Air Purifier 3H packs tons ofamazing goodies, especially having the capability to pair with their Mi App and also syncing with your phone so that you can control the air purifier with the touch of a finger.
Pllus, it comes with true HEPA filter too.
Xiaomi air purifier also comes with a sleek OLED display and shows real-time air quality index. The downside of this purifier is that some of the models actually use China Plug.
Local seller on Lazada, Dasher actually provide 1 year warranty to all the Xiaomi air purifier they sell. There are 3 different size available 2H, 3H and Pro. Buy Xiaomi air purifier now.
4. Philips AC 3259 air purifier
Best premium air purifier for larger room
Philips AC 3259 cost as much as RM1935 to own one. It covers up to a whopping 95m2 area which is more than 1000 sqft. It can easily cover a 2-rooms KL condominium. However, it is not recommended for its high price tag when you can buy 6 Sharp FPJ30LA and place it wherever you desire.
• Decent build quality and aesthetics.
• Great performance.
• Has amazing huge coverage area – 95²
• 3 types of filters including HEPA filter and carbon filter.
• Smartphone app control
• slightly outdated design
• activated carbon is coconut shell based, not ideal for those with nut allergies.
We pick Philips Air Purifier AC3259 as the best premium air purifier for a large room. This machine can support up to a coverage area of 95m² and has a CADR (Smoke) capacity of 393 m³/h!
The coverage itself may be impressive but I doubt that it can work better than combined filtration from multiple smaller unit of Sharp FPJ30LA. Thus, this device is only recommended for those with deep pocket and need it for a really large room.
It is claimed to be able to filter out > 99% of PM2.5 and >99.99% of bacteria too! With their Advanced Aerasense technology, they claim to be able to eliminate Ultra-Fine Particles down to 0.02µm and also harmful gases.
There are 3 types of filters, namely NanoProtect HEPA filter and NanoProtect filter. The first filter is the ‘pre-filter’ – a simple plastic mesh that is in front, next is the NanoProtect filter, which actually is an activated carbon filter and the third filter is the NanoProtect HEPA filter.
There is an air quality sensor that provides real-time feedback, which is awesome. Actually, anyone would want to know the current air quality in their surroundings so this is truly a thumbs up. Blue indicates good air quality, purple is fair and red is bad. Buy Philips Air Purifier AC3259..
5. Blueair Joy S Air Purifier
Ranked world no.1 air purifier- honourable mention
Blueair air purifier is a world-renown brand. They are famous for it product quality, durability and performance.
• Reputable air purifier brand
• HEPA filter down to 0.1 micron
• Colour changing option
• Refill and replacement parts are expensive too
Blueair Joy S is a compact-sized air purifier. Blueair is a very reputable brand in air cleaning and purification product. Most of their products often score high rating from many reviewers.
This particular model can be conveniently put right on your bedside table due to its compact design. Plus, it operates silently.
The biggest caveat with Blueair product is its high price. Check Blueair Joy S price now.
Do the expensive models always work better?
Does a 99.99% filtration rate really perform better than 99% filtration rate?
Does all the gimmicky operation mode like baby mode, sterilization mode matter to you?
After all, the air purifier is just a glorified name for an air filter. Their core component is only a fan and a filter. Buy what you can afford and spend wisely. They all function more or less the same.If you have no idea which model to buy, always go for our recommended budget pick- Sharp air purifier FPJ30LA.
Cuckoo air purifier model C
Cuckoo air purifier model C is outright expensive at RM2400 and cover only 37m2 of area. Rental is another big no-no for any financial savvy consumer. You can own a unit through the rental program with a very low initial cost but it can result in a big hole in your pocket over the years.
Honeywell air purifier HAC 30
Honeywell air purifier HAC 30 is another great option at RM950 with coverage of 42m2. It has a very solid build and feels premium. It also filters air as good as Sharp’s model. The only downside, it is not the best value for money when compared to Sharp’s air purifier.
Dyson Air Purifier
Dyson Air Purifier cost nearly RM3000 to own one. It is expected to be more silent than other models because Dyson’s motor technology. It has a carbon filter and HEPA filter. In my opinion, Dyson’s bladeless fan and cordless vacuum are no doubt superior to others. But when it comes to air-purifying capabilities, the high price tag simply doesn’t justify itself. It is meant for those who wish to buy Dyson bladeless fan with or without the air filtering feature.
Air Purifier FAQ
Why air purifier?
Much research and study have been conducted into air pollution, be it indoors or outdoors. And to the shock of many, it was confirmed that indoor air pollution is actually a few times worse than the outdoor pollution!
So how do we improve indoor air quality? One quick way is by using an air purifier.
While air purifier is not the all in all ultimate solution to all allergies and haze-related problems, yet most believe that it is still a very viable, reliable and economical way to help mitigate the health risks.
If you prefer a natural solution to improve air quality, getting an indoor plant is a great option. However, they are more passive and slower in absorbing contaminants. Just be reminded that there are only a certain type of plants that are suitable and beneficial to plant indoor.
How does an air purifier work?
The basic mechanism in any air purifier comes from the filter(s) and a fan that facilitates air circulation. So, dirty air goes in and out comes the clean air. And there are several types of filters available in the market:
• Pre-Filters -Practical and economical. These do not require much cleaning and yet are still able to maintain the effectiveness of the air purifier. Sounds too good to be true, right? Well, there is a catch here – these filters are only able to filter out the large particles.
• Carbon Filter – Activated carbon is useful for removing odour, especially when coupled with other minerals, like zeolite, that has the capability to absorb ions and molecules. It is also claimed that able to filter out toxin as well.
• HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) -The spotlight rests here. It is a multi-layered netting, that consists of extremely fine fibreglass threads (0.3 microns) that are interchanged with one another, creating different sized gaps to trap up to 99.97% of the dust. Thus, drastically reducing irritant that will cause allergies and asthma.
How to choose a good air purifier?
When choosing an air purifier, we should pay attention to CADR, size, noise level and HEPA filtration.
• CADR (clean-air delivery rate) value – this measures the cleaning speed that the air purifier utilizes for removing pollutants. Typically, best to get one that has a minimum of 300.
• Size – crucial to obtain an air purifier that has a space coverage bigger than the space it is intended to operate in. Remember that you don’t want to keep operating it at its maximum so as not to overstress it, and thus lengthen its life span.
• Noise level – You definitely would want your air purifier to be ultra-silent especially in your bedroom, or anywhere for that matter, therefore make sure to choose one with a very low noise level.
• HEPA Filter– the critical factor that differentiates the best air purifiers from average purifiers, as it is super effective in removing ultra-fine particles. The replacement cost of HEPA filter also should be taken into consideration.
Do you need an air purifier?
It is advisable to get a good air purifier if you suffer from allergies or asthma. Many noticed a significant improvement in their breathing and health after using one.
Can air purifier help with COVID19?
The short answer is NO, they are not good enough to protect people for COVID19 virus (according to a U.S EPA department report). But better airflow and air circulation help improving ventilation with outdoor air.
There’s no need to overspend on the air purifiers. Sharp air purifiers are very capable yet affordable at the same time. The money you save can be used to buy an air conditioner, air cooler, air humidifier, or even a portable air conditioner.